• Follow us

Broker License Requirements

Minimum Requirements to Apply for the California Broker Exam and License

To obtain a California real estate broker license, you must first qualify for and pass a written examination. Those who pass the examination are provided a license application, which must be submitted to and approved by the California Department of Real Estate (DRE).

Age: To apply for a license, you must be 18 years of age or older.

Residence: License applicants must provide Proof of Legal Presence in the U.S. If not a California resident, see Out-of-State Applicants.

Honesty: License applicants must be honest and truthful. Conviction of a crime may result in the denial of a license. Failure to disclose any criminal violation or disciplinary action in an applicant’s entire history may also result in the denial of a license. For further information, see Help Avoid Denial of Your License Application and Application Eligibility Information (RE 222).

Education and/or Experience: Effective January 1, 2013, broker applicants must have a minimum of two years full-time salesperson’s experience within the last five years or a four-year degree from an accredited college or university that includes a major or minor in real estate – One or the other. Further information on this topic can be found on the DRE web site .

Applicants for a California real estate broker license examination must have successfully completed the following eight statutorily required college-level courses.

Five required courses

Three of these courses*

* Only the courses in bold are offered by Chamberlin Real Estate School by Home Study.
** If applicant completes both Accounting and Economics, only two courses from second group are required.

Important Note: Quite often people have completed courses from a past college degree, or from a past attempt to receive a Broker License, that will satisfy California Department of Real Estate requirements. If you completed a course several (or even many) years ago, that course will be acceptable if you can provide the California Department of Real Estate with a course description and proof of completion.

Continuing education offerings do not satisfy the college-level course requirements for this examination.

Each college-level course must be a minimum of three semester-units or four quarter-units. The courses must be completed prior to being scheduled for an examination. Copies of official transcripts are generally acceptable evidence of completed courses. Transcripts of other courses, submitted as an equivalent course of study in lieu of the statutory courses, must be accompanied by an official course or catalog description in order to be evaluated.

Broker qualification courses must be completed at an institution of higher learning accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or by a comparable regional accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, or by a private real estate school which has had its courses approved by the California Real Estate Commissioner like Chamberlin Real Estate School (DRE Sponsor ID S0082).

Courses completed through foreign institutions of higher learning must be evaluated by a foreign credentials evaluation service approved by the Department of Real Estate.